Jeff McErlain's Essentials: Chord Tone Soloing
.MP4, AVC, 1000 kbps, 960x540 | English, AAC, 128 kbps, 2 Ch | 1h 43m | + Charts (.pdf), Jam Tracks (.mp3) | 970 MB
Instructor: Jeff McErlain

Ramp up your improvisational skills with chord tone soloing essentials

One of the most important improvisational skills is learning how to play over chord changes. This can be very confusing and frustrating for guitarists because there are so many different approaches, some of which are very technical and theoretical. Even some simple three chord songs can be challenging to solo over melodically. One of the easiest ways to overcome this challenge is revealed here in this Chord Tone Soloing edition of Essentials from Jeff McErlain.

"What is chord tone soloing? The simplest definition I can give you is playing the notes of a chord while you're on that chord. As guitar players, we often play "over" the chords, meaning we're playing the proper scale for the progression, but we're not considering each chord as it goes by. Chord tone soloing is the opposite, as we're playing "on" the chord changes. We can treat each chord as its own thing requiring us to play or resolve to the specific notes of that chord."

For each of the 10 Chord Tone Soloing studies featured in this course, Jeff will first perform the solo over the jam track in its entirety, and then break it down for you note-by-note emphasizing the essential techniques and concepts in play. All of the solos were constructed using the chord tone soloing approach, and all are played over commonly encountered rock, pop, soul and blues progressions in a variety of keys and styles.

Try Sometimes - "We'll start with a basic two chord progression similar to The Rolling Stones song "You Can't Always Get What You Want". I've played this tune on many gigs, and it's fun to solo over. The chords are C7 to F, so we're technically in C Mixolydian. Whaaa? Don't sweat it! Start with a C major pentatonic scale, which is C-D-E-G-A, and get comfortable with that. C major is spelled C-E-G and F major is spelled F-A-C. As we can see, all the notes of these chords are in the pentatonic scale except for the F. First concentrate on being comfortable using the C major pentatonic scale."

Bird Song - "Here's a really fun chord progression based off of the Leon Russell tune "Hummingbird". BB King also recorded it, and John Mayer did as well. It's a great tune as it's not quite the blues, but certainly bluesy, and this will allow me to dig a little deeper into chord tone soloing as one scale doesn't really fit all in this case. Actually, as we move through this course, we'll see that thinking just scales doesn't really do a progression justice. If we look at the melody of a song, I can bet you it's primarily chord tone based. It's very difficult to sing a note over a chord that's not a chord tone."

Bird Out - "This is the end progression for the song "Hummingbird" that BB solos over. It's a very common progression that can offer some cool ways to use chord tone soloing. With all due respect to BB, one of my heroes, he basically plays sparsely and sticks to "BB's box" - which of course makes perfect sense! The progression is Bb-F-C7, and that puts us in C Mixolydian (C-D-E-F-G-A-Bb-C), which is the same notes as F major. The magic BB's box is a mix of Cmaj pentatonic and Fmaj pentatonic scales, which I explain in the video. Spend a lot of time with BB's box, as it's an essential scale for blues and blues rock soloing."

Survivor - "This one is a classic 8 bar blues with some cool changes based on the BB King tune "I Will Survive". It's also the verse of "Sometime After a While You'll Be Sorry", which is a great song that I first heard on the record "Hard Road" by John Mayall featuring Peter Green. As with all of these songs, before you start trying to solo, run over the chord progressions. After all, on a gig that's primarily what you'll be playing. It's also imperative when you're thinking about chord tones and soloing to see where these cords lay on the fingerboard."

Magic Woman - "Of course, this is the classic tune "Black Magic Woman" made famous by Santana. For many years, I didn't realize that he didn't write it, as it's an old Fleetwood Mac tune written by one of my favorite guitar players, Peter Green. The song is an 8 bar variation on a minor blues in D, and the version I'm referencing here is the original Fleetwood Mac. The chords are Dm, Gm, and Am. An apparent pentatonic scale we can use is D minor. As with all of these examples, mess around with just the minor pentatonic scale first to become comfortable with that. That's always going to work great, but as we discussed, it does leave a few excellent chord tones and strong notes."

Home Coming - "This next tune is based upon the classic Sam Cooke tune "Bring It on Home to Me", a real gig staple and fantastic song. There have been many gigs where I've played songs like this and others in this course, and frankly have sounded pretty poor at it. My background was in hard rock and heavy metal, some of the songs were minor based like Yngwie Malmsteen (a personal favorite, yes that's right, I love Yngwie), Randy Rhoads, Tony Iommi, etc. As much as I love my roots musically, it did not give me a great framework to solo over songs such as "Bring It on Home to Me" and a number of others in this course."

Highway Key - "Key to the Highway is the consummate 8 bar blues. There are others, but this is the big kahuna. It's also a blues staple that I have heard people, such as myself, miss some golden opportunities in this song to utilize chord tone soloing. It still uses the same chords as a blues, just the order is mixed up little bit, but for some reason the song screams out for us to outline those changes more than a standard blues does."

Daylight - "I love Creedence Clearwater Revival, and I think John Fogerty is one of the best rock song writers and singers. He clearly has roots in the soul and blues, as we can hear on the song "As Long as I Can See the Light". This one is a full-on gospel chord progression that's fairly common. It's a great song to learn how to navigate the changes as you'll most likely come across them again, and they're fun to play over. The song is a variation on a basic I-VI-IV-V progression in B. So that would be Bmaj-G#min-Emaj-F#maj. As always, learn the progression in as many locations on the neck as you can. Think small three string triads on the D, G, and B strings, as these are in the "magic zone" on the guitar."

Greeny - "For "Greeny", I'm borrowing the feel and a few licks that are in the style of Peter Green from Fleetwood Mac. Chord tone soloing is essential when playing over a blues if you want to get into that sweet BB King style sound. As guitar players, our first go to scale this case would be A minor pentatonic, and that's fine! But, if you take a look at the A minor pentatonic scale, you can see that we're missing some key chord tones that show up in each of our chords. Of course, there's nothing wrong with just using the minor pentatonic scale, many fantastic guitar players have done this, and it's a stylistic choice. I'm not going to name any names, as inevitably someone will think I'm putting that guitar player down. As a player, I'm more attracted to the sound outlining some of, or if not all, of the chords. The more involved you get in outlining the chord sounds the jazzier it can sound."

Down and Out - "I've saved the most difficult piece until last - although it's quite a common blues tune. "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" has been around for quite a long time, with countless versions. It's also a cool 8 bar blues. The first version I heard is on Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs record from Derek and the Dominos. Since then, Eric Clapton has rerecorded it as an acoustic track, which became a staple in his set along with "Key to the Highway". The thing about this song is that it actually changes keys a number of times, so there are lots of opportunities to hit wrong notes! This is where chord tone soloing is a lifesaver, because learning the proper scales to play over all these changes is quite demanding and actually the wrong way to think about things."

All of the performances are tabbed and notated for your practice, reference and study purposes. You'll also get Guitar Pro files so that you can play, loop and/or slow down the tab and notation as you work through the lessons. Plus, Jeff generously includes all of the backing tracks for you to work with on your own.

Grab your guitar and let's build up our chord tone soloing chops with Jeff McErlain!

More Info
Kod:
https://truefire.com/essentials-guitar-lessons/chord-tone-soloing/c1157

Download link:
Kod:
rapidgator_net: https://rapidgator.net/file/a425d9375cef2006bae99856ffe40a08/s4ar6.Jeff.McErlains.Essentials.Chord.Tone.Soloing.rar.html nitroflare_com: http://nitroflare.com/view/F96D06AA8531B55/s4ar6.Jeff.McErlains.Essentials.Chord.Tone.Soloing.rar
Links are Interchangeable - No Password - Single Extraction